So I did it. I went out and bought a new MacBook Pro... the higher end model. And I love it. It's perfect in almost every way. Could also be that a bit of the new Apple product charm is rubbing off on me.
I thought I'd post some of my first impressions here for those of you considering getting one:
- Looks - It's totally sexy.
- Edges - The edge (which from just looking appears sharp) is actually very smooth to the touch and entirely comfortable to rest your hands on. This is in total contrast to my MacBook Air which I almost feel could slice my hand wide open if I moved it fast enough.
- Build Quality - The construction feels VERY solid... more so than my Air... and the LCD screen doesn't wobble once you place it... mine at home wobbles a fraction of an inch and it's very annoying. The Air's in the store also did the wobble to a lesser degree. The MBP's screen appears stuck in place much more firmly. This feels like the most solid Mac notebook I've ever owned.
Neither Here nor There
- Trackpad - Overall, it's not terrible. It works fairly well but I'm still getting used to it and you probably will to. If you wish Apple had never changed it the good news is you can click with the bottom and still move your finger just fine - it all "just works" Apple style. And I like the looks better without the button.
- Clicking - The new whole button click is a little over-rated. It really clicks better at the bottom and progressively worse as you move to the top. I also found it hard (but got better with practice) clicking in the middle of the trackpad. Even though it was easy to get the sufficient pressure just pushing would actually slide my finger off of the thing I was trying to click.
- Right side as right click - Works OK except when you're using one finger to move the pointer and that finger happens to be on the right side and then you click on the left side (pretending it's an old MBP with a button) with another finger. It sees your finger sitting there on the right and thinks it's a right click. This happened to me so much I turned the feature off and went back to two finger right clicking, which works fine.
- Four finger gestures - I find the Expose gestures awesome and I'm only starting to use them. They aren't as hard to pull off as you might think. I just throw 4 fingers on there any which way and move them and it sorts it out.
- Black glass border on screen - I have this little white spec that looks like a defect in the glass or something... almost like a lit pixel (no it's not in the LCD)... kind of annoying and I wouldn't be noticing it probably if there wasn't a glass frame. Overall I like the frame but that spot is annoying. I wonder if it's worth taking a perfectly working laptop back for though.
- Keyboard - The feel is fine and the keys are responsive but the keys seem to quickly get oily... even if your hands are clean and you just washed them recently. Normally I might think I was just weird or something but I've never seen this before and someone else online is complaining about the exact same thing. No idea what's up with this.
- Feet - You have to make sure you hold it still if you're going to try and open it on a flat surface or it will slide. Probably true of any Mac laptop using slick feet instead of rubber though. I only mention this cause I don't remember noticing it with my MBA.
- Removable panel on the bottom - If I slide my hand along the bottom I can already feel that the right side of the panel isn't perfectly aligned with the rest of the frame... I wonder if this is something I can bend back into place.
- Mini Display Port - So I can't use my 30" Cinema for 4-5 weeks until the adapter is ready...? SUCKY.
- Glass screen - Yes, it's more annoying that matte. No it's not the end of the world some people say. I find that if I re-situate myself (pick a different table or switch sides, etc) and crank the brightness up to 50% or 60% that usually it doesn't bother me. No idea about direct sunlight outside. It definitely seems more shiny than my MBA. The reflection is flawless though where as the MBA reflection is kinda of wavy if you look at it (just something random I noticed).
This is just a really quick post about my thoughts... so don't weigh the pros and cons by counting bullet points. I bought this to replace both my MBA and my 17" MBP and that is still the plan - whenever I can buy my $100 MiniDisplay Port to Dual-link DVI adapter that is...
Anyone else have one yet? What are your thoughts?